For best results, before joining any cleansing program, practice the following Pre-Fast Program for at least a COUPLE OF WEEKS. This will prepare your body for a more comfortable and more profound cleansing process.
One of my most successful clients began to make changes about a month before she came to the retreat. She had already cleaned up her kitchen, set up her juicer, and purchased a Vita-Mix; so that when she returned home, she kept on eating primarily raw, drinking juices and smoothies, and having one moderate meal per day of solid foods.
Breaking the fast is critical and should be done very slowly, mainly eating just fruit, steamed or raw leafy vegetables, and Green Smoothies for the first few days and beyond.
Some Practical Suggestions:
- Wild fish, broiled or baked, with steamed veggies and a salad; brown rice and beans, bean soup with a slice of whole grain bread, sweet potatoes, squash, fruit smoothies for breakfast, veggie burgers made from sunflower seeds and veggies.
- Eat as many raw fruits and vegetables as your body can handle (60% raw and 40% cooked is a good guideline for most people). If your digestion is weak, you may need to eat steamed or baked vegetables. There are digestive enzymes that can also be added to this pre-fast program.
- Drink two raw, organic vegetable-based juice daily while pre-cleansing; you may drink as much as you like. The more juices you drink, the more full you will feel and the more nutrition you will put into your body. Cravings will lessen.
- Water is a critical addition to the cleansing process. Limit snacks to fruits, nuts and seeds, vegetable juices, and mineral broths made from vegetables.
- Eating less food will be the goal after the fast, so beginning to do that now will make it easier on your body and your mind. Good luck!